Ecosystem Regeneration Camp – Fall
Forest Gardening: a Multifuncional perennial agro-ecological system
November 12 to 16 – 2018
Campo do Vale
Projecto Novas Descobertas
Quinta Vale da Lama
Odiáxere – Lagos
9:30 – 12:30 / 14:00 – 18:00
(see more below)
Portuguese / English
Nº MIN/MAX PARTICIPANTS
Min. 10 // Max.30
(Read below on how to support)
PND OFFICE: 282 697 862
Forest Garden is a garden that mimics the structure and functions of a young natural woodland but using plants that could benefit people directly or indirectly (food, fodder, fiber, medicinal, aromatic, fertiliser, fun…). Normally they consist of a widely diverse set of large trees, small trees, shrubs, herbaceous perennials, herbs, annuals, root crops and climbers, ordered in a way that it maximise positive interactions between species.
This fall we will be working in several areas of our farm, aiming for pedagogical, production, leisure and demonstrative purposes. We are inviting you to join us for this week of highly practical hands-on Action Learning. We’ll be covering several topics relevant to the establishment of multifunctional Forest Gardens, such as: Forest Gardening basics, water management, perennial vegetation, soil fertility, biofertilizers, pest & weeds management…
This experiential learning opportunity is being offered to people who can be counted-on to “pay it forward” by continuing the work of ecosystem regeneration in their own home context and perhaps beyond. That is the primary contribution we are looking for; otherwise, please take a pass on this particular opportunity and leave space for someone else.
NB: We have limited capacity to 30max. In order to reserve your place, make sure you click the “JOIN NOW” button above and fill out the linked application form. The first 30 apps received will be confirmed (the rest will have to be waitlisted).
Hugo Oliveira from (OrlaDesign)
With his academic background on Biology and Landscape Ecology Hugo is now focusing his work and research on participatory Design of Regenerative Ecological Systems. He is a consultant at Quinta Vale da Lama responsible for creating landscape regenerative strategies for rain-fed agro-silvo-pastoral systems within the Mediterranean semi-arid.
- Camping with basic amenities. (If you have special needs, contact us (firstname.lastname@example.org), we have some solutions);
- There are solar showers, free WI-FI and a library area with regeneration related books;
- Healthy mediterranean diet menu, mainly vegetarian meals. Fruits, snacks, tea and coffee throughout the day.(If you have specific needs, please inform when filling the form);
- Site visits of Vale da Lama and related projects
WHAT TO BRING
Tent (we have some tents for those who don’t mind sharing), and all sleeping gear you need. Biodegradable personal hygiene products, towels and shower flip flops.
Bring outerwear (boots, hat, sweater and rain-gear advised), flashlight, gloves and anything else you might need for comfort.
HOW TO SUPPORT
- Bring food and kitchen supplies (We will send you more details once you register);
- Become a PND member on arrival (Know more).
- Bring your own tools, plus extra to share (gloves, garden trowel, garden scissors, etc.)
- Be ready to volunteer as part of housekeeping routines and space and tools maintenance.
- Make a donation so we can offer more camps!
Caixa de Crédito Agrícola
NIB: 0045 7194 4015 2135 1713 6 // IBAN: PT50 0045 7194 40152135171 36 // BIC/SWIFT: CCCMPTPL
PATTERN OF THE DAY
9:30 – 10:40 // Topic of the day (theoretical)
10:30 – 11:00 // Break
11:00 – 12:30 // Practical tutorial
12:30 – 14:00 // Lunch
14:00 – 16:00 // Applied learning I (practical)
16:00 – 16:30 // Break
16:30 – 18:00 // Applied learning II (practical) + Check out
18:00 – 19.30 // Housekeeping / Personal time
19:30 // Dinner
By the end you will be able to:
- Understand the layering functions of a Forest Garden
- Plant trees, shrubs and other plants
- Improve soil quality
- Understand the basics of soil microorganisms
- Mimic natural processes
- Use appropriate tools
- Manage pests and weeds
- Understand ecological functions relevant to Forest Gardens
- And more
IN PARTNERSHIP WITH: